Thursday, January 8, 2015

My Favorite Books of 2014

I read a lot.  I have books every.  On my nightstand.  In my car.  In my purse.  In the kitchen.  In the living room.   My philosophy is if there is spare time then pick up a book.    I will not read just anything.   I believe that anything I read leaves an imprint of some kind.   So I am very choosy about what I read.  Fortunately, even though I am choosy (some say picky) there are so many wonderful things to read.

My favorites books in 2014 were:

Seeking Allah, Finding Jesus by Nabeel Qureshi


One night in our Life Group one of our friends mentioned this book.   I had heard of it and even read excerpts from it, but had never made the commitment to read it.  After he brought it up in our discussion, I finally sat down to read the entire thing.   It made such a huge impression on me.   Maybe it is because Muslims are so prevalent in the news or maybe it is because one of my sons was assigned to go to a Muslim mosque for school, but my heart very much open to know more.  I feel so much better equipped to pray and witness to this group of people.  My heart was definitely softened in a way I didn't now it needed to be.

The Best Yes by Lisa Tyrkerst




"Not every assignment is God's assignment for you."   I cannot tell you how life changing this sentence and so many others from this book were for me.   I did this book as a Bible study.   My book is marked up and written in because it came as just the right time for me.   I am still learning to say God's best yes for my life every single day.

Sheet Music by Kevin Leman

My sweet husband and I will celebrate 25 years this year.   Do you know what we gave each other for Christmas?  Date nights.   We love spending time together.   We have developed an intimacy over the years.   I loved reading this book again and being reminded of some of his date night "recipes". 

Praying God's Will For My Son by Lee Roberts


 I love this little book.   Anything that helps me pray more specifically for  my boys makes me happy.




Keepers of the Covenant (The Restoration Chronicles Book #2) by Lynn Austin


When Lynn Austin announces she is releases a book I go straight to Amazon and pre-order it.  Does that tell you how much I love her books?   Keepers of the Covenant is about the Old Testament story of Ezra.   One of my favorite parts was seeing the culture of this time.   It makes the Bible come alive for me like never before.   I cannot emphasize enough how good all of Lynn's books are. 


In the Field of Grace by Tessa Afshar




It was a win/win to have not only Lynn Austin, but Tessa Afshar put out a book in 2014.  Both Christian historical authors.    The only problem with reading these authors is that I read they too quickly.   In the Field of Grace is the story of Ruth, Naomi and Boaz.   I have read this three times because it has given me a new appreciation for Jesus as my kinsmen redeemer.   Read it.... you will understand!

Raptor 6 by Ronie Kendig



My husband and I both love books with story lines involving special forces/FBI/law enforcement.   We have read several series by Kendig including her recent Operation Zulu series (so good!).  I received Raptor 6 for review and now we can't wait to read the next two.   Raptor 6 involved national security and hackers.   I had a hard time putting it down to go to bed.

Poison Town and Sky Zone (Crittendon Files Book #2 and #3) by Creston Mapes









I finished the Crittendon Files series.   These books are edge of your seat, gripping, and never know what is going to happen next kind.   They are not predictable which I love.   He addresses issues which you would easily recognize with the help of Jack Crittendon, a journalist.  Never a boring moment! 

Firewall by Diann Mills








Like I said, I like FBI fiction.  This involves a bomb attack in an airport.   I really should not have read this right before my boys got on a plane heading to Belize, but other than that I loved this book!! 


I am always on the search for new books to read.  What are you reading?  What were your favorite books for 2014?

No comments: