Thursday, September 23, 2010

Day 23- Most awkward first impression you feel you’ve ever given.

Oh this is so easy.     And very awkward.     Before I met my amazing husband, I dated a guy who was in seminary studying to be a pastor.     After we had been dating for quite a while he asked how I would feel about going on a double date with another couple that were friends of his.     

What he didn't tell me was that this couple was his professor and wife.     What he also didn't tell me was that he had told them (who had NEVER met me) that he intended to ask me to marry him that night while on this double date.    

When they picked us up, they told us we were driving to Vicksburg.      That hour drive was filled with 100 questions.    About my life.   My values.  My beliefs.   My goals for the future.    How I felt about everything in general.        I thought I was going to have a panic attack.

After having supper we drove around Vicksburg for a little while.     My boyfriend thought it would be romantic to propose to me in my hometown.    I guess he somehow didn't consider the fact that inviting another interrogating couple along kind of brought down the romance factor a LOT!    

At one point during the night he pulled me aside and proposed.     I was very stunned and said yes.    We crawled back into the car and he told the couple who said, "Ready to go home?"

It was the most awkward night of my life.       

To prove the awkwardness, it didn't take for me and that guy to figure out that a life together was not in our future.      We broke off our engagement and God led me to my happily everafter.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow... some points for trying to be sweet but really?? A couple you don't know along on your "proposal" date... um... yeah.