Thursday, December 31, 2009

New Year's Eve Reflections

(In)Courage has these 20 questions on their blog.      It gave me a lot to think about and I am sure it will for you too!

 1. What was the single best thing that happened this past year?     Our decision to homeschool.     I have never seen our boys happier when it comes to learning.

2. What was the single most challenging thing that happened?    Our decision to homeschool.     Our boys have a love of learning and I want to challenge them.     This definitely challenges me on a day to day basis.

3. What was an unexpected joy this past year?      The arrival of my precious twin nieces

4. What was an unexpected obstacle?    The constant day to day stress of hubs' job.   Will he still have one tomorrow?    So many pay cuts, changes and layoffs.     We enter the New Year grateful for his job, but praying for God's guidance.

5. Pick three words to describe 2009.    blessed, thankful, family

6. Pick three words your spouse would use to describe your 2009 (don’t ask them; guess based on how you think your spouse sees you).    determined, busy, focused

7. Pick three words your spouse would use to describe their 2009 (again, without asking).   blessed, stress, grateful

8. What were the best books you read this year?      That is a tall order considering how many books I have read.     At the top of the list are definitely the two books by Patti Lacy, An Irishwoman's Tale and What the Bayou Saw.      I also loved the book Michal from the Wives of King David series.

9. With whom were your most valuable relationships?     Without a doubt:   God, Donald, Todd and Tanner

10. What was your biggest personal change from January to December of this past year?     A total lifestyle change.    Going from involved PTO mom to stay at home homeschooling mom was quite a transition.

11. In what way(s) did you grow emotionally?    The saying, "What doesn't kill you makes you strong." feels true in my life.     A year ago, I felt like I was dying emotionally.      However, God showed me that wasn't true.

12. In what way(s) did you grow spiritually?     So many.     God showed me that I had been reserving pieces of my heart hoping for things that are never going to happen.     Once I turned those pieces of my heart over, He filled it with His love and healing.    

13. In what way(s) did you grow physically?      That is the problem... I grew physically!

14. In what way(s) did you grow in your relationships with others?      I learned a lot about who my friends are and who they are not.     I stepped outside my comfort zone and got to know some people this year... meeting for lunch, coffee and just a coke.     

15. What was the most enjoyable area of managing your home?     I love cooking for my boys.     I love doing things that spoil them in little ways:   putting clean sheets on their bed very regularly,  warming their towels in the dryer,  making hot cocoa to tempt them out of bed in the morning and leaving notes on their pillows.  

16. What was your most challenging area of home management?     I get frustrated when my physical limitations get in the way of all I want to get done around my house.   

17. What was your single biggest time waster in your life this past year?     Facebook.     I didn't truly comprehend how much time I was wasting on Facebook until I gave it up for our 40 day fast.     

18. What was the best way you used your time this past year?      Being a wife and mom

19. What was the biggest thing you learned this past year?     No matter who walks out on you... God never will.

20. Create a phrase or statement that describes 2009 for you.    "No matter what.    No matter where.   It is always home if love is there."  

2 comments:

K Storm said...

Quite a year!

Taylor & Krisa said...

Technically your nieces arrived in 2008 :)