Wednesday, July 15, 2009

TMTT: No Other god

Do not worship any other god,
for the Lord your God is a jealous God.
Exodus 34:14


"Thou shall have no other gods before me!" It is no wonder that this verse has been bouncing around in my head lately. With all of the people we have been putting on pedestals lately it has been a little nauseating to me. I don't mean to sound inconsiderate because there are definitely families who are sad right now and I feel for them, but a man is a man and he does not deserve to be elevated to "god" status.

On the flip side, the same thing goes for all the other things in our life that we allow to be elevated beyond the level of importance they deserve. Food, television, computers, sports, exercise, materialism, money, entertainment... all of these can replace what is supposed to be our first love.

When I was a little girl I imagined the "no other gods" as the golden calf that I read about in the Old Testament story, but as I have grown I have realized that there can be many golden calfs in our lives. I am praying that God will make me aware of any melting that I may do today. I want nothing to separate me from His love.

9 comments:

Dr. Wifey said...

i have thought about this lately as well (wonder why?! LOL)

Alexis said...

Great post! I appreciate you mentioning that a man is a man... Jesus was a man too, but he was perfect and he is our SAVIOUR! Only HE should be lifted up above all others. Thank you for this! Have a great WFW

HisFireFly said...

Beatiful picture and a Word (and a word) that the world needs to hear.

Michele said...

Amen! Great Verse and I love this Picture

black betty said...

amen!!!!!!!!!!

Cathy said...

A pretty picture and great Word for today ~

Denise said...

Amen amen.

K Storm said...

Wish you were in our Tuesday evening group...that topic has been discussed from so many angles...would love to have your perspective too!

Julie@comehaveapeace said...

Love the nature of God's jealousy, which has been so misunderstood, but in truth is so loving.I'm so glad He wants to be our first Love without competition.