Thursday, June 11, 2009

Another Milestone - Swimming

At noon today we will mark another "last" in Little Guy's life.    Swimming class.   He has been taking swimming classes from Debra Stapleton from the past couple of years.     He learned to swim from her the very first year he went to her class.    She is the most amazing teacher.      We have continued to send him so he could perfect his swim strokes.     

 
Tanner is a natural in the water.     If she tells him to swim two laps, he asks "how about four?"
 
 
He has learned strokes that I have never even heard of before.   When we go to the pool he challenges me to races.    He is doing all these fancy swim strokes and I am just trying to get from one side to the other!
 
One of my favorite things about Debra is how much time she takes to teach the kids lifesaving skills.    She gives them every possible scenario that they might face.    She drills it into them how to be safe in and around the pool for themselves and for the people around them.     Below are pictures of Debra teaching the kids the "reach and grab" method of assisting someone who might be drowning in the pool.    This is a method that allows them to help someone without putting themselves in danger.    She taught them how to place their bodies on the pool so that the drowning victim could not pull them off into the water also.
 
 
We go to the pool during the summer and when we go we often let the boys invite their friends to go with them.      I am shocked and frightened at the number of them who cannot swim.    

 
 If you are looking for a place to learn to swim, I highly recommend Debra!    Email me if you want her phone number!      Just DIVE IN and LEARN!
 

3 comments:

Dr. Wifey said...

i could use some lessons :)

Buckaroo Banzai said...

Kyle and Erik are going for lessons this Summer. They went last Summer and loved it.

I was lucky - my parents had a pool, so I was swimming like a fish by age 6.

K Storm said...

SHe is a good teacher...my kids have taken from her too.