Wednesday, March 18, 2009

WFW: Be Strong


(My two guys in Point Clear, Alabama. Showing their muscles.)


About 15 years ago our church choir was practicing for a concert. Our choir director gave me the music to this song and asked if I would sing the solo parts with another person. As I began practicing it, I felt God's Spirit saying, "Hide this. Hide it deep." The words were from Joshua 1:9 and they just seemed to flow over my spirit.

Be strong and take courage
Do not fear or be dismayed
For the Lord will go before you
And His light will show the way
Be strong and take courage
Do not fear or be dismayed
For the One Who lives within you
Will be strong in you today!

This song and my God has kept me company through many times of fear. From the moments giving birth to my boys to sitting beside the phone waiting for test results. From sitting in funeral parlors to literally being scared out of my mind because of a phone call.

I have come to realize that fear is a good thing. It was a gift given to us by God. Fear is what gets us out of a burning building or gives us the instinct to protect our children. When the fear becomes an enemy is when we allow our fear to rule us instead of it being a tool.

A person which I love to study who had a complete handle on fear in his life was Paul. He wrote, “Do not worry about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication (asking with humility), with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:6-7) And this was after being in prison!!

Things seem to be a mess right now. Prices are rising and our paychecks aren't. People are losing their jobs, houses, and retirements. Everything that we used to think was secure is suddenly falling apart. But GOD SAYS, "Fear not!" “If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.” (2 Chronicles 7:14)



9 comments:

Anonymous said...

BEAUTIFUL, Deanna! You, like so many others on this particular WFW, have blessed me with scripture and insights that I truly didn't even know that I needed until they were right there in front of me, soothing and salving my soul. THANK YOU.

BTW, the guys are just way too cute!

LauraLee Shaw said...

Wowzer, those little men have some big muscles!!!! Darling. And such great insights as well. Happy WFW!

Dr. Wifey said...

love the pic of your guys!

K Storm said...

That is great.

From the Doghouse said...

My Bible study was on a similar topic this morning, ironically.

Ya know, if your little man would grab that bar, big guy wouldn't have to strain so hard!

;)

Laurie Ann said...

The boys are too cute! Great pic to illustrate this Scripture. I loved your teaching on fear. I will definitely be putting that in my think tank to ponder on. Happy WFW!

Anonymous said...

love, love, love the photo and the verse...what a wonderful pairing. And what a reminder for your guys :)

Blessings.

Amydeanne said...

too cute! what a fun picture and great insight!

God Bless!

Buckaroo Banzai said...

That's why older son is struggling: Younger son is flexing and not lifting! :)