Saturday, May 17, 2008

Sheri, You Should Have Written This Book!!


I hope my friend Sheri is reading this posting. She should have written this book. When my boys were little it was a source of constant humor that I so clueless about nursery rhymes. She was a teacher and former preschool director and could sing anything. Me.... I could sing the ABC song if I had a good night's sleep.

I saw this book in Barnes & Noble and thought, "That is the perfect baby gift." Considering we are about to have a baby boom in our life, I will be picking up several of these books.
Book: Humpty Who? - A Crash Course in 80 Nursery Rhymes for Clueless Moms and Dads
Description: What-to-read as well as a how-to-read, this collection of 80 rhymes, songs, and finger play features all the timeless characters and their stories—Jack and Jill, Georgie Porgie, Little Bo Peep, Contrary Mary. But it's more than just Mother Goose. There are lullabies, rounds, and riddles. How to recite "The Itsy-Bitsy Spider," and make the hand-motions that have held children spellbound for generations. How to act out "I'm a Little Teapot". Plus, there are explanations for curious kids (and adults) on things like exactly what a "tuffet" is and how to make "pease porridge"; suggestions for reciting the poetry of the greats (Shakespeare, Blake, Dickinson); tips on how to improvise; and the secret weapon of the yoga "Om." The accompanying CD is both great to play for baby, and a fun way for parents to learn the music that goes along with many of the rhymes.
Sounds perfect! Give me about five!!

3 comments:

Confessions of A Mississippi Mom said...

This book sounds wonderful, it hard for me sometimes as a writer of children's stories to peek my own children's interest. I will have to check this one out, even though my kids have become Nancy Drew fans...

From the Doghouse said...

That sounds like a cool book.

Sue Wilkey said...

That's so funny- just yesterday my 7 year old was asking me what the 3 Little Pigs was about and I was like "um....one guy had a house of straw...one had a house of ....hay..." and she was like "isn't that the same thing?"