Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Memorial Day Memories

Memorial Day was a wonderful, relaxing day. I am now officially hooked on summer.

It was a day full of...

...the smells of gardenia, honeysuckle, fresh cut grass, food being cooked on the grill and chlorine in the pool.

...the site of my boys playing on bicycle ramps, ping pong, the trampoline, in the water, and with water balloons with their friends.

...the taste of lemonade and strawberry smoothies.

...hearing the laughter of kids playing, the roar of lawn mowers and the wheezing of me after a bike ride (I really need to ride more).

...the feel of grass between my toes, sunscreen on my nose and ice down my shirt (yes, my husband is a big kid!).

...the emotion of seeing the impromptu memorial to a fallen soldier in the front yard of a neighbor and remembering my own high school friend, Brian, who died two Christmases ago.

...the memory of those who have so selflessly served to make our freedom possible to have such a wonderful day. I appreciate those in my life who have served in the military: my Daddy, Denny, Jay, Edward, Randy and especially, Brian, who paid the ultimate sacrifice.

4 comments:

Denny Pettway said...

Thank you Deanna!
Thank you for remembering those that have given their lives for our way of life. I remember when Brian was killed...he was SO close to retirement too. He didn't have to be in that helicopter, but he wouldn't have been anywhere else.
He was a great Marine and I, like you, am proud that I knew him.

From the Doghouse said...

There's no way to thank them, or their families, enough for their service.

Deanna said...

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Denny. I'm proud to be your friend.

Jennifer Carter said...

Thanks for remembering them in your post!