Friday, March 28, 2008

Empty Threats vs. Lies

In our after school Friday chatting, Tanner announced to me that he was disappointed in his teachers. He said that they had lied to him. I was very shocked to hear him say something like this because I know how much he loves and adores his teacher.

I asked him to explain.

Tanner had a field trip today and everyone from his class was able to go. He said that all week his teachers had been telling the class: "If you have not finished all of you work, you will not be able to go on the field trip." This morning when the time to leave came, everyone got on the bus and in Tanner's observation, not everyone had finished their work. In his mind, this equates to his teacher lying.

Obviously, there are two sides to this story, but it reminds me how important follow through is when I am being their Mom. Empty threats are just as good as lying to them.

No comments: