Thursday, February 14, 2008

The only girl on Valentine's Day --- How lucky

Twenty years ago today my sweet hubby asked me to marry him. He was fidgety during supper which should have cued me off. He drove me around the lookout at the Reservoir and parked. I won't tell you all the sweet words he used, but I will tell you that he proposed in perfect Donald style: with a Precious Moments figurine of a boy proposing to a girl.

Donald had given me Precious Moments figurines for special moments of our life until then and he has continued to give me figurines since then: our wedding, our first anniversary, the birth of our boys, first Christmas, etc.... Because of how our marriage started, Valentine's Day holds extra special meaning for us.

This morning when I woke up I was kind of sad because I love doing special things for my guys on Valentine's Day, but with a house full of flu this week I haven't quite been free to go and shop for the things to be prepared like I wanted to be. I had planned on surprising Tanner with a version of Elvis' grilled peanut butter and banana sandwich (recipe below) since he is on such an Elvis kick right now. I was going our traditional chocolate dipped strawberries and surprise the boys with their favorite treat -- a fondue supper.

When you are the only girl in the house and your husband is such a sweetie, it is hard to be down very long. Tanner was the first one to surprise me with his homemade Valentine. At some point during his flu induced state this week, he had drawn special Valentines for each one of us and put us all to shame. Next Tanner walked in with a sweet card from Donald. I won't share what it said, but I know I will read it over and over and over! I even had a surprise as I was taking my shower. I was washing my hair and looked down to find a heart shaped soap that was engraved with "I love you!"

Sometimes being the only girl in a house full of so much testosterone can be overwhelming, but most days I am just overwhelmed by how much I am loved!!


Grilled Peanut Butter and Banana Split Sandwich (from Cooking Light)

Ingredients
2 (1-ounce) slices firm white sandwich bread, divided
1 teaspoon butter, softened
1 tablespoon creamy peanut butter
2 teaspoons honey
1/2 teaspoon semisweet chocolate minichips
1 large strawberry, thinly sliced
1/2 small banana, cut lengthwise into 3 slices (about 2 ounces)
1 tablespoon pineapple jam

Preparation
Spread one side of each white bread slice with 1/2 teaspoon butter. Combine peanut butter and honey; spread over plain side of 1 bread slice. Sprinkle with chocolate chips; top evenly with strawberry slices and banana slices. Spread pineapple jam over plain side of remaining bread slice. Carefully assemble sandwich. Heat a small nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add sandwich; cook 2 minutes on each side or until lightly browned.

Yield
1 serving (serving size: 1 sandwich)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey thats interesting to read...

http://letsgo.co.in/